What are the benefits of an IT Audit?
Before we start on IT Audits, let me just say here and now that although Watchman IT Security is based near Abergele in North Wales, we really don’t mind where the IT Audit is. IT Audit Abergele, IT Audit Chester, or Birmingham, we really don’t mind.
Now that’s done, why would anyone need an IT audit?
Some of the reasons include:
- To demonstrate IT compliance with Legal Requirements
- European Law, UK Law
- To demonstrate IT compliance with 3rd Party Requirements
- Contractor, PCI-DSS etc
- To demonstrate IT compliance with Professional Requirements
- Governing Body
- To demonstrate IT compliance with Organisational IT Policy Requirements
- Internal requirements
An IT Audit can save you a lot of money improve the profitability certain departments.
Often an IT Audit is seen as a witch hunt, in reality it should not be. When we perform an audit we are not there to find problems, however if they exist they will come to light, our focus is on compliance and improving it. Our aim is really about looking at the existing processes you have in place, seeing what the reality is at the work face and then making improvements that generate a better ROI.
But an IT Audit will do more than demonstrate compliance. The detailed report at the end of the audit will highlight any areas of weakness and therefore show where improvements in IT work practices can be made. These practices may be in Security, Process Management, Data Storage, Data Protection and potentially a lot more besides.
For example, it seems that the vast majority (95%) of organisations face significant challenges when implementing leading cybersecurity frameworks. That’s according to the Cybersecurity Frameworks and Foundational Security Controls Survey, from Tenable Network Security and the Center for Internet Security (CIS), which shows that three out of the top five impediments to cybersecurity framework implementation were technological in nature, suggesting a need for software solutions that can automate and simplify cybersecurity framework adoption.
The top five impediments to cybersecurity framework implementation are:
1. Lack of trained staff
2. Lack of necessary tools to automate controls
3. Lack of budget
4. Lack of appropriate tools to audit continuous effectiveness of controls
5. Lack of integration among tools
Having an IT Audit will often result in identifying ways in which the five impediments can be implemented through the cost savings identified during the audit! That makes it a win win situation.
Why is Staff Training important?
Research from Avecto discovered that office workers put organisations at risk by being too trusting of online scammers. In a poll of 1000 people whose jobs require that they use the internet on a daily basis, 65 percent of employees would be wary of clicking a link in an email from an unknown sender, but if that email appeared to be from a colleague, supplier or friend, over 68 percent would have no concerns about downloading content or clicking on the links. (Check out our first three Podcasts for information on Phishing and in particular Spear Phishing).
ISACA – Code of Professional Ethics from the masters of IT Audit
(Information Systems Audit and Control Association)
Watchman IT Security follows the ISACA Code of Professional Ethics at all times:
- Support the implementation of, and encourage compliance with, appropriate standards, procedures and controls for information systems.
- Perform their duties with due diligence and professional care, in accordance with professional standards and best practices.
- Serve in the interest of stakeholders in a lawful and honest manner, while maintaining high standards of conduct and character, and not engage in acts discreditable to the profession.
- Maintain the privacy and confidentiality of information obtained in the course of their duties unless disclosure is required by legal authority. Such information shall not be used for personal benefit or released to inappropriate parties.
- Maintain competency in their respective fields and agree to undertake only those activities, which they can reasonably expect to complete with professional competence.
- Inform appropriate parties of the results of work performed; revealing all significant facts known to them. Support the professional education of stakeholders in enhancing their understanding of information systems security and control.
Furthermore, we use recognised IT Frameworks to ensure that our work is compliant and that the results from any audit meet the required standards.
If you are interested in having an IT Audit then contact us for more information.
Even if you are not sure if you are ready for an IT Audit, it’s worth having a chat with us about the benefits, not because we want to sell you a service, but because doing the right thing for you, your company and your customers is important. Peace of mind is obviously a factor in the results of an audit, but you may find that a chat with one of our experts may help more than you know.
You can usually speak with Steve by calling 01492 818111 in UK Office hours and choosing option 2 for Watchman IT Security, don’t be afraid to leave a message so we can get back to you if we are focused on a client when you phone. We know that you may want to speak with us urgently, but we always focus on active work because it is often time critical, we are sure you appreciate that.
So remember, if you need an IT Audit, call Watchman IT Security, we will help you get the most from your IT Audit.